Friday, October 7, 2011

And it begins!

My reading adventure begins (appropriately enough) with The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain, a book I have not read since high school--well, let's be honest, I probably never actually read it. This is one of many books I have on my shelf that I was supposed to read in high school, or even college, but somehow avoided...

I think Tom Sawyer was one of the assigned books in 9th or 10th grade by Mrs. Groffman--GREAT teacher, but I was not very easy to motivate back then. Clearly I've become more ambitious (or, some may say, crazy) over the years (this blog is case in point), but I do regret not taking advantage of all the great reading opportunities I had and ignored in high school.

Amazingly enough, I found the exact cover of the version I own (a very very old copy)
Anyway, I remember HATING all things Twain in high school, but I have a feeling my sentiments toward good ol' Clemens may have changed since I last attempted to read this particular work.

In other news, today is both my birthday (happy happy) and the eve of Yom Kippur, the most important day on the Jewish calendar. So, it seems as good a time as any to embark on this journey. I probably won't do much reading until Sunday, since I'll be spending most of tonight and tomorrow in our synagogue, but I'll report back with my renewed thoughts on Tom Sawyer and Mark Twain in a few days (this should be a quick read).

If you are fasting for Yom Kippur, I wish you an easy one, and G'mar Chatima Tova!

No comments:

Post a Comment